> News > Telikom NSL > Besta blinder

Besta blinder

Papalau Awele scored the opening two goals in the 16th and 36th minutes, followed by a spectacular diving header from Alex Kamen in the 40th minute.

Kamen connected with a low ball in front of the goalmouth to score the goal of the round a contender for the goal of the year.

Brendan Ben scored Besta’s fourth; seconds from fulltime as Oro were exposed for their lack of fitness in the exhausted way their players hung in.

Oro’s flanker Patrick Aisa stood out with his quick feet and stylish dribbling that brought a consolation 88th minute goal against Besta PNG United’s four goals.

Besta coach Bob Morris said he had a relatively new team with strong combination building still an important part of his technical team to work out among the young development players at the Papua New Guinea Football Association Academy in Lae.

In the earlier match champion club Hekari United proved too strong for Lae City Dwellers with a 3-0 victory.

A brace sent Nicholas Muri surging to the top scorers list in another ominous sign of how hard it will be to wrest the title off the nine-time champions.

In what was a much anticipated match at the Sir Ignatius Kilage Stadium since the Telikom-sponsored semi-professional soccer competition season started two weeks ago, eager Lae fans were left devastated at the new Lae franchise’s capitulation.

Former Besta PNG United striker Tommy Sammy plotted Hekari’s second goal in the 21st minute after Muri opened the score sheet with his 14th minute opener.

Under captain David Muta, Hekari, prolific young midfielder Emmanuel Simon clearly showed out the weak Lae midfield combinations and poor ball distribution.

Lae’s prodigal sons in captain Raymond Gunemba and Nigel Dabinyaba, who left Hekari to return home this season, were easily contained by their former team mates, while Lae fullback Valentine Nelson had a busy 90-minutes in front of the near rampant Hekari attackers.

While in Madang newcomers Madang came from behind to hold Admiralty 1-1 at the Laiwaden Oval.

Related posts