> News > Telikom National Soccer League 2011/2012 > Besta PNGFA United upset NSL Champs Hekari United 2-1

Besta PNGFA United upset NSL Champs Hekari United 2-1

Teh match was deferred due to Hekari’s O-League duty travel last Saturday 19th November and were played at Port Moresby’s Loyd Robson oval on Wednesday 23rd November.

The win was what the Besta boys had been training for and it paid off with team Manager Stanley Khana praising his boys for a job well done.

Hekari dominated in the midfield led by David Muta and Clifton Aumae with the help of defender Koriak Upaiga who was pressing forward to give more widht to their offensive.

Hekari well maintained passes and set pieces had the boys from Lae constantly on the defensive but they were equal to the task denying the champions any goal scoring opportunities.

Despite being on the defensive for most of the first half, Besta took a golden opportunity in the 25th minute against the run of play when left back Peter Yang dashed down the sideline before delivering a well weighted cross which the Hekari defence failed to clear and rfound its way to striker Jamaal Seeto who struck the ball into the far left hand corner of the net and in the process collided with the Hekari goalkeeper Leslie Kalai which saw him exit the field momentarily..

Disappointed by the goal, goal picked up the tempo resulting in their best goal scoring opportunity two minutes before half time when substitute Nigel Dabinyaba drew an impressive save from Besta’s goal keeper Ronald Warisan when he steered a well taken cross by Wira Wama goalward.

Despite Hekari’s late onslaught Best held their nerves to take a 1- 0 lead to the break.

Hekari came back aggressive and determined to get an equalizer in the second half as they staged their attack through the centre of the pitch.

The high intensity of the match was slowly takign its toll on the Besta players as most of their defensive players were showeing signs of fatigue from the relentless Hekari offensive.

Hekari’s efforts finally paid off in the 67th minute when a corner kick from David Muta which was misjudged by keeper Warisan sailded over his bead and into the back of the net after deflecting off a couple of players.

Hekari with their new found confidence stepped up another gear in search of a winning goal but were constantly denied by the Besta backline.

Besta flanker Sammy Hiob silenced the vocal Hekari supporters 18 minutes from full time when he punced on a loose ball and chipped it over the head of Leslie Kalai into the net.

Related posts