> News > telikom national soccer league > Hekari rule eight title in a row

Hekari rule eight title in a row

They beat newcomers FC Port Moresby 3-0 in the Telikom National Soccer League grand-final at Sir John Guise Stadium in Port Moresby on Saturday.

As anticipated both teams displayed a high standard of football befitting a final which kept the spectators on their feet throughout 90 minutes.

Both team had an equal share of support in the stands and for a while it looked to be an even tussle. But Hekari fans had the last laugh with the Reds slotting three while keeping the FC POM goal-less.

Port Moresby fans were disappointed that striker Niel Hans failed to at least make a dent in the Reds’ defensive wall with his “mumu stone” strike in the second half.

Special guest Oro Governor Gary Juffa and Telikom National Soccer League chairman Isaac Lupari were more pleased with the standard of football. FC Port Moresby got a special wrap from Juffa for being the first timers in the semi-professional competition and made the grand-final in their inaugural season.

FC Port Moresby went straight to work dominating the first 15 minutes constantly taking play into Hekari territory but defenders Daniel Joe, Taniela Waqa, Pita Bolaitoga, Koriak Upaiga and goalkeeper Godfrey Baniau kept things under control.

The defenders than turned attackers when Hekari shifted into high gear to start pressuring FC Port Moresby defence. Skipper David Muta took control of the midfield and started delivering ball for his flankers and strikers.

Hekari’s Nigel Dabinyaba picked off a loose clearance to slam home a goal. The goal lifted the defending champions as they intensified their attack.

Raymond Gunemba weaved his way into the box and was brought down by FC POM skipper Cyril Muta. Erickson Komeng kicked the ensuing spot kick for a 2-0 lead into the break.

Hekari took advantage of an unsettled Port Moresby defence to send Gunemba through for the third and the final goal of the afternoon.

Port Moresby fighting desperately to gain a foothold in the contest substituted Alwin Komolong for Felix Bondaluk. The national junior representative had an immediate impact getting FC POM on the front foot.

This allowed Max Sengum and Niel Hans several chances at goal but Hekari’s defensive structure was equal to the task.

Hekari coach Jerry Allen said, the victory was the best way to end another challenging season.

Related posts