> News > National Soccer League > Central stun Eastern Stars in game II of Round 1

Central stun Eastern Stars in game II of Round 1

Sunny days like this would see people taking time beside the river or swimming in the sea, but for the Port Moresby residents, they packed up Bisini soccer gound on Saturday to watch the match between CPL Eastern Stars and new kids on the block, Gigira Laitepo Central FC where Gigira upset Eastern Stars by 2 goals to nil.

In other NSL matches Hekari United beat Bulolo United FC of Lae 3 – 0 while Besta United FC downed Pertro Souths 2 – 0 in Goroka at the National Sports Institute over the weekend.

After a scoreless first half, Central under coach Wesley Waiwai shifted to high gear to register their first win of their debut season.

Reserve Richard Matanga volleyed another goal to beat Peter at the net to consolidate their victory midway through the half.

But the day belonged to Central goalkeeper David Aua, who made crucial saves to help his team win. Despite felding a strong line up which included strikers Karol Kakate and Lap Embel Stars would not convert oany of their opportunities.

Stars franchise owner, Joseph Eleadona was disappointed with the loss saying it was a matter of grabbing chances which his side failed to do.

“Our boys palyed well but did not find the net while Central had penalty and a long shot at the goal that found the net,” he said.

He congratulated Central FC for their first win which has forced his team back to the drawing bard for the upcoming match.

Meanwhile, champions, Hekari United saw off a strong challenge from the new comers Morobe Mining Bulolo United beating the Morobe team 3 – 0 in Lae.

The Sir Ignatius Kilage Stadium was packed to its capacity by Bulolo fans, whose vocal support was in vain, as the visitors brilliance shone on the field.

All three goals were registered in style through new recruits and local boys Raymond Gunemba , Nigel Dabinyaba and Neil Hans, who arrived late to join the mtach with team manager Vonnie Kapi Natto in the first quarter from a late flight.

Gunemba was the first to score, after curling one from the edge of the field into the net.

Dabinyaba who is one of the success stories of young Papua New Guinean progressing into professional football, also capitalised on poor defence by the Bulolo backline and belted home the second goal after finding himself unmarked in front of the goal.

Bulolo looked to contain the brilliance of Hekari, but their midfielders could not match their counterparts in ball distribution, which resulted in Hekari forwards having the lion’s share of chances.

Hans, a PNG international, replicated Gunemba’s earlier effort which saw the Reds take an unassailable 3-0 and crushing the spirit of the Ludwik Peka- coached Bulolo franshise.

Last Tuesday, Bulolo MP, Sam Sam Basil predicted in the company of MMJV’s sustainability and external relations general manager David Wissink, that Bulolo would cause the upset of the season so far by defeating Hekari and even promised each player K500 for the win.

Wissink also announced the company’s sponsorship of K150, 000 during that time

For all results and schedule,

Related posts