> News > 2017 National Soccer League > Madang hold Huawei PS to 1-0 win

Madang hold Huawei PS to 1-0 win

Madang FC managed to hold on to a slender 1-0 win after Huawei PS United FC made a late surge in the National Soccer League double header stage at Bisini Soccer Oval in Port Moresby on Saturday.

In the other match Besta PNG United FC only just managed to beat Vitis Yamaros 3-2 and in Lae, reigning champion Lae City Dwellers trashed Buang FC 7-0 at PNGFA Academy, 11 mile.

All six teams will now feature in an action filled mid-week triple header in Port Moresby in Port Moresby on Wednesday at Bisini.

For Madang, they were forced to work hard for the win.

The only goal came from Max Sengum from a penalty to take home the vital three points.

It was also a much needed morale booster as they atoned for their 1-0 loss against champions Lae City Dwellers last weekend.

However, that was the only goal and it did prove crucial in the end for the visitors as they seek to cement their position in the top four.

Madang coach Francis Moyap said despite being content with the win gave credit to Huawei PS United who looked sharp.

“They looked a different side altogether from the team we played against in our previous match.

“They really improved after our last meeting.”

With Madang leading 1-0 at the break, they continued to express with some hope of extending their lead.    

Hanson Topio seemed to be making inroads into the opponents defense and at times causing headaches for the latter, but his strikers failed to find the back of the net.

Madang had a further two clear chances to put the game beyond reach but wrong options in finishing was their story of the day.

PS lifted the tempo in the last 20 minutes as they tried to push the ball out wide creating some better chances.

It worked to their advantages, resulting in replacement striker Giwi Simon finding the net for a possible equalizer however ruled offside by the referee.

Madang held on to walk out winner.

Related posts