> News > National Soccer League > Momase forced Madang to a draw

Momase forced Madang to a draw

A dramatic comeback by FC Momase in the final 10 minutes of their round five National Soccer League fixture saw them draw 2-2 with Madang FC in Port Moresby yesterday.

The men from Madang would be rueing the game that slipped through their fingers after they had led for most of the match.

Momase’s Basil Jofari got his side on the board from a corner kick in the 83rd minute, as the Madang defenders were caught ball watching leaving the flanker unmarked to slot the ball past the keeper.

Minutes later Momase’s Moses Arisib completed a brilliant counter-attacking move, driving the ball into the left corner of the Madang goal.

Arisib showed great composure finding himself one-on-one with the keeper as he calmly secured the equaliser for his team in the 88th minute.

Madang would be feeling gutted after giving away a comfortable 2-0 lead which they held from the 60th minute.

Both of Madang’s goals came through the boot of Stahl Gubag (25th and 60th minutes). Madang dominated the majority of the match with PNG international Michael Foster pulling the strings in mid-field, as Madang took a 1-0 lead at half time.

However the Madang defence never looked comfortable in dealing the Momase forwards, who kept them on their toes with incisive runs deep into Madang’s half, proving to be a consistent threat.

Madang coach Maurie Wasi said: “Fair play to Momase. They battled away and took their opportunities. We didn’t respond well, we dropped our intensity and got punished for it. Momase have a good front three that caused problems for our defenders all day.”

A satisfied Momase coach Rosen Matanga commended his players for their positive style of play, always pushing and creating goal scoring chances despite being 2-0 down 10 minutes into the second half.

“Even though we troubled the Madang defence at stages we didn’t put away those chances. When we create chances we have to put them away otherwise those missed chances will come back to haunt us,” Matanga said.

“We struggled a little bit. We were flat for most of the game but the boys hung in there and kept on creating chances. The changes from the bench, as well, sparked up our team, as we managed to get the equaliser.”

Round 5 results: Sat, Feb 10 – FC Morobe Wawens 2-1 Besta PNG United; Sun, Feb 11 – Momase 2-2 Madang.

Related posts