> News > National Soccer League > Strikers’ late fight back to register first win

Strikers’ late fight back to register first win

New Kids on the block, Southern Strikers FC survive a late fight back in the second half scoring four goals and registering their first win in the National Soccer League challenge upsetting pre-match favourite FC Morobe Wawens at the Bisini Soccer Ground in Port Moresby on Saturday. 

FC Morobe Wawens dominated the first half and took a 2-nil lead at the break with a double from Joshua Gwae.

Strikers began their fight back in the 53rd minute with a goal from striker Pettyshen Elizah.

But the boys from Morobe put the deficit back to two points when Philip Steven came all the way from the back to powered one past Strikers goal-keeper Ila Pene.

Wawens celebration was short-lived when Strikers left flanker Kenneth Arah’s two goals in the space of three minutes send their fans into frenzy.

The winner came in the 85th minute through the magic boot of Gregory Togubai who flicked it into the net to give the City boys their first taste of victory in the semi-professional competition.

The host were more defensive in the last 15 minutes, holding off a late fight back by Wawens, whose vocal supports were crying for equalizer as the clock was winding down.

The victory was sweet for the City boys especially under the helm of their first female NSL coach Margaret Aka.

“The plan at half-time was just to get back to the basics. I’m happy with the win but there are still a lot of areas that need improvement, said coach Margaret Aka.

In the other results of NSL round four matches, Madang FC defeated Buang FC 6-1 at Laiwaden Oval in Madang and defending champion Toti City FC continued on their winning streak beating FC Momase 2-1in Lae at Sir Ignatius Kilage Stadium.

The points ladder: Lae Toti City 12, Madang FC 9, Besta PNG United FC 3, FC Morobe Wawens 3, Southern Strikers 3 while FC Momase and Buang FC are yet to register a point.

Related posts